It’s an easy twist on traditional sloppy joes that’s flavorful and delicious! The cheesy crust compliments the beefy tomato filling so well and makes for a quick and hearty weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
Author: Maegan – The BakerMama
Recipe type: Main
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large white onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
¾ cup ketchup
2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cup milk
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Add the diced onion and bell pepper and let sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and garlic salt.
- Add the tomato sauce and ketchup and stir until well combined.
- Let mixture simmer over low heat while you prepare the topping.
- For the topping, add the flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl.
- Stir in the milk, melted butter, and eggs until well combined.
- Fold in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Spread the topping evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown.