A healthy and delicious way to enjoy boneless skinless chicken breasts that’s as delicious as a restaurant meal and ready in just 20 minutes, this slim and saucy healthy chicken marsala is a keeper.
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even ½-inch thickness and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the dried thyme and the pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken (but don’t overcrowd the pan) and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and remaining salt and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often until the shallots start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the marsala and broth and cook until the sauce thickens a little, about 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 more minutes.
Nutritional estimates per serving (1 chicken breast and about ½ cup mushrooms): 250 calories, 7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein.
I used mushroom broth instead of chicken broth and thought it was delicious.
Although, this recipe is called “saucy” I would have liked even more sauce, so the next time I make it, I’m going to increase the marsala and broth to ¾ cups each. I’ll also sprinkle it with a little fresh chopped parsley before serving.