- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each serving):
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add water, eggs and butter; cover and pulse until dough forms a ball, adding an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed. Let rest, covered, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions in butter until tender; set aside.
- Drain potatoes. Over very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam has evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a large bowl. Stir in cream cheese, salt, pepper and onion mixture; set aside.
- Divide dough into four parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 teaspoons of filling in center of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold in half and press edges to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bring a Dutch oven of water to a boil over high heat; add pierogies in batches. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer; cook for 1-2 minutes or until pierogies float to the top and are tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. In a large skillet, saute four pierogies and onion in butter until pierogies are lightly browned and heated through; sprinkle with parsley. Repeat with remaining pierogies.
Freeze option: Place cooled pierogies on waxed paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pans; freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; freeze up to 3 months. To use, for each serving, in a large skillet, saute four pierogies and 1/4 cup chopped onion in 1 tablespoon butter until pierogies are lightly browned and heated through; sprinkle with minced fresh parsley. Yield: 1 serving.
4 pierogies: 372 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.